Soldiers' Help Society

Published by The Garland Collection on



THE regular meeting of the Soldiers’ Church of England Help Society was held in The ANZAC Club on Tuesday afternoon [ 12 March 1918 ].

Mrs. W.H. Campbell [ Mary Simmonds Campbell, neé Powell ] presided, and Bishop Le Fanu (acting director) [ Henry Frewen Le Fanu ] and Lady Morgan [ Alice Augusta Morgan, neé Clinton ] were also present.

A letter was received from the Governor, stating that owing to his absence from Brisbane, he and Lady Goold-Adams [ Elsie Goold-Adams, neé Riordan ] would be unable to be present at the luncheon which the society is giving to returned soldiers on ANZAC Day.

Canon Garland [ David John Garland ] writes from Cairo, saying he has secured suitable quarters for the soldiers’ residential home, which is to be known as “The Australian Soldiers’ Club”.

He also appeals for socks for the men in Palestine and Egypt.

Knitters are asked to leave socks at The ANZAC Club, addressed to Miss Weightman, and they will be promptly forwarded.

A satisfactory report was received from the Seaside Rest House at Coolangatta, and Mrs. Seymour reported that Mr. E. Stevens, Burleigh Heads, had generously supplied the boat so much desired by the soldiers staying there.

Mrs. Merchant [ Isabel Wilson Merchant, neé Macmillan ], reported that Sunday teas had been given on the 3rd of March by the Albion branch, Miss Kelly hostess, 127 present; and on the 11th of March, the Cathedral Branch, Mrs. Cambrae-Stewart hostess, 126 present.

The supplementary honour board, bearing the names of the nurses who recently left on active service, has been placed in the war chapel.

Business in connection with “Lavender Day”, the 5th of July, was discussed, and promises of help and support were received from the country branches.

– from page 12 of “The Telegraph” of 14 March 1918.

PICTURED ABOVESt Luke’s Church of England in Charlotte Street, Brisbane, was the administrative base from where Canon Garland operated his many ministries on behalf of the Diocese of Brisbane in relation to the Soldiers’ Church of England Help Society Fund and its main offshoot during World War I – “The ANZAC Club”. This image, which appeared in “The Queenslander” of 1 September 1917 (page 25), shows the club’s billiard room.