The Memorial Project
ABOVE: Pictured after the Official Unveiling and Dedication Ceremony for Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins on 22 April 2016 were (from left) Mr Gordon Appleby, Treasurer of the Canon Garland Memorial Society; Mr Peter Collins, Secretary and Online Editor of the Canon Garland Memorial Society; the Honourable Jackie Trad MP, Deputy Premier, Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning, and Minister for Trade and Investment (and Member for South Brisbane); Mr Serge Voloschenko OAM, Deputy Chairman of the Ethnic Communities Council of Queensland Incorporated; the Honourable Paul de Jersey AO, the Administrator of the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia (and Queensland Governor); and Ms Terri Butler MP, Shadow Assistant Minister for Family Violence and Child Safety, Universities and Equality (and Federal Member for Griffith).
THE MEMORIAL’S STORY
Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins is located at the northern end of Brisbane’s Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park, almost on the boundary fence with beautiful St Mary’s Anglican Church.
The Church, built in 1873 by Alfred Grant to a design by Diocesan Architect, Richard G. Suter, is crafted from the porphyry rock of the surrounding cliffs.
The stone edifice replaced a timber structure built in 1849 on land closer to the river.
In 1892 a cyclone caused considerable damage to the church’s roof and bellcote.
Stone structures on the northern external aspect of the chancel indicate that the building is incomplete and a vestry or bell tower may have been intended for that site.
The Church’s pipe organ is the oldest in Queensland, dating from the early 19th Century and built by H.C. Lincoln (1789-1864).
It was imported from a London church in 1876 and further stops were added in the 1961 by the Brisbane firm, Whitehouse & Brothers.
The instrument is now maintained by Pierce Pipe Organs and plans are afoot for its complete restoration at some future date.
The adjacent Parish Hall was built in 1879 but has been substantially modernised.
The Rectory, designed by Diocesan Architect, John Hingeston Buckeridge, was completed in 1889.
St Mary’s Church was patronised by the governors when they resided at Old Government House, sited just across the Brisbane River in the grounds of the present Queensland University of Technology.
It has always been the naval chapel in Queensland and was once connected by stairs with the Naval Stores below the quarry face.
The Warriors’ Chapel, dedicated in 1950, contains a memorial to those who died on HMAS Voyager in 1964.
Following the death in 1926 of former Rector and World War I army chaplain, the Reverend William Maitland Woods, a bell tower (separate to the church building) was erected to his memory.
The belltower is dedicated to Fr Woods on a plaque and by inscriptions engraved on the bells.
KANGAROO POINT CLIFFS PARK
This is a very scenic park providing exceptional views of the City of Brisbane and across to South Bank.
Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins has also been designed and built to match in with the porphyry of the Church.
The Society is working with the Brisbane City Council to better sign-post the location of the Memorial within the park.
The Society intends to use the Memorial, this website, our ongoing social media campaign and the enthusiasm our supporters’ networks to build the awareness about Canon Garland’s contributions to Australia.
Dates such as those commemorating the key events associated the centenary of World War I, ANZAC Days and Remembrance Days will provide us with opportunities to closer engage with the local community to raise awareness about Canon Garland’s life of service and his significant contributions to commemorate soldiers’ sacrifice.
See EVENTS section for upcoming Society-organised concerts or ceremonies.
The Society will work with the local community to develop a Heritage Trail, linked with other walking trails across the Kangaroo Point, Mowbray Park and Woolloongabba precincts.
It is hoped that we will be able generate guides that will provide visitors with a roadmap to the major attractions (including the Memorial) and connections to the CBD as well as local transport arrangements.
The links following identify the current trails which need to be updated and modified.
The Woolloongabba Business Association is playing a major role in this development.
Many places in Brisbane have associations with Canon Garland’s career between the late 1890s until his death at the age of 75 at Red Hill, on 9 October 1939 (77 years ago).
- Canon Garland Place and Tomb, Toowong Cemetery
- The St Barnabas’ Church Memorial Chapel and Gardens, St Barnabas Place, Red Hill, Brisbane
- The Holy Trinity Church, Hawthorne Street, Woolloongabba
- St John’s Cathedral, Ann Street Brisbane
- The Garland, St George’s Hostel and Apartment Tower, Rainbow Bay, Gold Coast, Queensland
Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins was officially unveiled, dedicated and handover to the People of the City of Brisbane at Brisbane’s Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park, Kangaroo Point, on 22 April 2016.
After some three years of planning, designing and fundraising, Canon Garland Memorial Society Incorporated invited some 150 of Queensland’s ranking officers of the Australian Defence Force, honorary consular officials, religious leaders, parliamentary representatives, both State and Commonwealth, media, sponsors and heads of numerous veteran community help organisations to witness the Administrator of the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia, His Excellency The Honourable Paul de Jersey AC, reveal the stunning Memorial.
After a very moving prayer, the Anglican Archbishop of Brisbane, the Most Reverend Dr Phillip Aspinall, blessed the Memorial and Canon Garland Memorial Society Incorporated (the “CGMS”) President, Dr William Glasson AO, invited Councillor Peter Matic – standing in for the Lord Mayor of Brisbane City Council, Councillor the Right Honourable Graham Quirk – to formally accept it on behalf of the People of Brisbane.
His Grace, Dr Aspinall, intoned the following prayer of blessing for the Memorial. CGMS acknowledges Dr Aspinall’s kind permission to reproduce his words:
We gather today in gratitude for the life and ministry The Reverend Canon David John Garland and to dedicate this Memorial in his honour.
Let us pray.
God of all creation, who calls your people to live in peace with justice:
We give thanks for the life and service of Canon David John Garland.
Following his example we remember with thanksgiving the men and women in our Armed Forces who have fallen in the course of duty, and pray you to bring comfort to all those left behind in every generation.
We join our prayers with those of Canon Garland for an end to scourge of war and for the maintenance of a just and peaceful world.
We pray too that Canon Garland’s spirit of ecumenism – including people of all faiths in the observance of ANZAC Day – will endure in the life of our nation.
Sustain us and all people in faith and hope until your will is done on earth as it is in heaven.
Hear us through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Now in the faith of Jesus Christ we dedicate this memorial in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Strengthen our hearts, and hands, and minds, O Lord,
to work together for peace;
to see you in one another;
and to seek your kingdom above all things;
that your will may be done
and your kingdom come,
through Jesus Christ,
the Lord of lords and King of kings. Amen.
God grant to the living grace,
to the departed rest,
to the Church, the Queen,
to the Commonwealth and all the world, peace and concord;
and the blessing of God Almighty,
the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
be among you and remain with you always. Amen.
LORD MAYOR’S MESSAGE
After the blessing, CGMS President, Dr Bill Glasson AO, called on Cr Peter Matic, representing the Lord Mayor of the City of Brisbane, Councillor the Right Honourable Graham Quirk, to officially receive the Memorial on behalf of the People of the City of Brisbane.
CGMS acknowledges the Lord Mayor’s kind permission to reproduce the following message read out by Cr Matic:
Lord Mayor Graham Quirk, on 5th day of November 2015, officially opened a new lawn at Toowong Cemetery to honour Canon David Garland, the man known as the ‘Architect of ANZAC Day’.
Cr Quirk said the lawn highlighted the importance of Canon Garland’s contributions to Australian society, with his proposal to honour fallen troops, the start of what is now a national tradition.
“Canon David Garland worked as a chaplain at the Enoggera Army Barracks during World War I and in the wake of climbing casualties from the war; Garland proposed a national day to honour the sacrifice of fallen soldiers in the Gallipoli landings,” Cr Quirk said.
“Garland rallied the local community and in 1916, the ANZAC Day Commemorative Committee of Queensland was established, with Garland serving as its secretary.
“Garland created the framework for ANZAC Day commemorative services and worked tirelessly to gain military, religious, political, governmental, business and general community acceptance.
“In 1916, ANZAC Day was commemorated on 25th day of April for the first time and was marked by a wide variety of ceremonies and services in Australia, a march through London, and a sports day in the Australian camp in Egypt.
Cr Quirk said the new lawn was delivered in partnership with local groups, including Friends of Toowong Cemetery, the Canon Garland Memorial Society and Brisbane Ghost Tours and would commemorate Australia’s fallen heroes.
“The location of Canon Garland Place bears great historical significance, with the space being the focus of Anzac Day commemorations until the completion of Queensland’s National Anzac Memorial, Anzac Square, in 1930,” Cr Quirk said.
“The lawn is located adjacent to ‘The Cross of Sacrifice’ and ‘The Stone of Remembrance’ which were unveiled in 1924, and funded through fundraising activities which Canon Garland established.
“Works have involved turfing the lawn, installing seating, new pathways and a commemorative storyboard plaque about Cannon David Garland for residents and visitors to enjoy.”
A LOVELY DAY
Below are some images from a most moving and pleasant event…
ABOVE: Cr Peter Matic reads a letter from the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, formally accepting the Memorial on behalf of the People of Brisbane and Brisbane City Council.
ABOVE LEFT: Artist, Dr Rhyl K. Hinwood AM, came up with this early mock-up design of the proposed “Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins”.
ABOVE RIGHT: The Memorial was refashioned into a “wall-like” structure, featuring three bronze plaques, after a new home was identified in Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park, on the fenceline with historic St Mary’s Anglican Church. BELOW: The newly-minted Memorial.
Early schematics of the Memorial are seen above.
The Wreath, which sits upon a stone base, depicts sprigs of Australian golden wattle and New Zealand silver fern, entwined with a swirling, blood-red riband, symbolising the blood shed in time of war by both nations and the bonds which are affirmed each 25th day of April.
Brisbane tuff – the bedrock stone on which the City of Brisbane itself is built – forms the wall-shaped base of the Memorial, invoking a sense of the solid foundations of which ANZAC Day was built 100 years ago in Brisbane.
Three bronze plaques tell the story of the origins of the ANZAC Day commemoration and the influence Canon Garland had on its development.
The north-east garden area of Woolloongabba’s Holy Trinity Church was initially considered for siting the Memorial due to the location’s association with Canon Garland’s early career in Brisbane. Holy Trinity Church was the worship centre of his South Brisbane Parish (now the Parish of Woolloongabba).
While associated with this parish, Canon Garland renewed his friendship with fellow military chaplain, the Reverend Canon William Maitland Woods, Rector of neighbouring Kangaroo Point Parish, centred on St Mary’s Church, in River Terrace. Indeed, Canon Garland’s Rectory was located just up the road from St Mary’s Church.
In 1915 Canon Garland, then working out of St Luke’s Church in inner-city Charlotte Street, re-activated his honorary chaplaincy commission with the First AIF and took on the challenge of providing chaplaincy and welfare services among the fresh recruits arriving at Brisbane’s Enoggera Army Base; then joining the troops as they fought throughout the Middle East in the later stages of World War I.
In late 2015, a spot in Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park, on its boundary with St Mary’s Church, became available to the CGMS to erect the Memorial.
Perhaps one day Canon Garland Memorial – ANZAC Day Origins will become part of a visitor “heritage trail” running from Holy Trinity Church, Woolloongabba, up to Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park, on to St John’s Cathedral in Ann Street, then to the former St Luke’s Church in Charlotte Street, out to Canon Garland’s former parish base at St Barnabas’ Church on Waterworks Road, Red Hill, and finally on to Canon Garland Place and his resting place at Toowong Cemetery.
The Canon Garland Memorial Society Incorporated formed as an outcome of a public meeting convened at Woolloongabba’s Holy Trinity Church on 9 July 2013.
The Federal Member for Griffith, Ms Terri Butler MP, lent her support to the Society’s Griffith electorate Department of Veterans’ Affairs Centenary of ANZAC Day Local Grant application. Our ambitious community-based, volunteer-led, not-for-profit project gained significant momentum once these funds flowed through.
The Canon Garland Memorial Society Incorporated is a charity registered with the Australian Commonwealth Government’s Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission and can accept donations from the public via PayPal or cheque in Australian dollars.
CGMS thanks you for your interest in this unique initiative to enhance community awareness about Brisbane’s crucial role in the origins of ANZAC Day, and to finally bring some long-overdue recognition to the Brisbane cleric who designed it 100 years ago.
CGMS gladly acknowledges the generous support of private donors and the following corporate and governmental sponsors who helped make the Memorial a reality: