The Garland Columns

Our Soldier Boys

ABOVE: This was, for a great number of Queensland’s First AIF returned soldiers, the first time they could smile again after the ravages of trench life in the Great War. Managed by a returned soldier with the additional supervision of a former Army Nursing Service Matron, “The Rest House”, behind the Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
The Garland Columns

Our Soldier Boys

ABOVE: The “Writing and Reading Room” inside The Anzac Club, set up inside St Luke’s Church, Charlotte Street, in inner-city Brisbane by Canon Garland and The Soldiers’ Church of England Help Society in 1915. When the third annual general meeting of the Society was held in May 1918, this room was Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
The Garland Columns

Our Soldier Boys

ABOVE: Canon Garland was instrumental in the formation of The Soldiers’ Church of England Help Society. This article appeared in the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane’s monthly newspaper, “Focus”, for June-July 2012 (page five). OUR SOLDIER BOYS. ‘Nothing is too good for our Soldiers.’   This month we wish to tell Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
The Garland Columns

Our Soldier Boys

ABOVE: This photo illustrated the column penned by Canon Garland (transcribed below) which appeared in the 1 March 1916 issue of the Church of England (Anglican) monthly newspaper, “The Church Chronicle” (page 51). The caption read: “Soldiers, leaving for the Front, saying good-bye to the Resident Chaplain”. Chaplain Lieutenant Colonel Garland is depicted in this Read more…

From The Secretary, ago