Foundations of ANZAC Day

Barambah enlists

HALF-CASTE RECRUITS. MURGON, May 14.– Chaplain Lieut.-Colonel Garland [ David John Garland ], accompanied by Mr. J.W. Bleakley [ John William Bleakley ], Chief Protector of Aboriginals, and Recruiting Sergeants Saville, Foster and Jones, visited the Barambah Aboriginal settlement today for the purpose of recruiting half-castes [sic] as reinforcements for the Australian Imperial Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
Immigration and boys' homes

Help Society's AGM

ABOVE: In this 1906 advertisement, “Riviera” is depicted as a stately three-level, iron-ballustraded boarding house at the corner of Skew Street and North Quay, Brisbane. On 8 June 1920, Canon Garland announced at The Anzac Club (set up inside St. Luke’s Church of England in Charlotte Street) that “Riviera” had been purchased by The Soldiers’ Church Read more…

From The Secretary, ago