At the Front

The Pectoral Cross

IN 1920 the Reverend Canon David John Garland was conferred the Order of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the form of a small, gold cross. In 1940 this priceless liturgical accessory, containing a holy relic, was bequeathed to a member of Canon Garland’s extended family in England. Every Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
St Barnabas' Church Years

New Russian church

THE Russian Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas, which was erected by the Russian community of Brisbane about nine months ago, to replace a small wooden building that had served them as a church for some years, will be officially opened and consecrated by the Metropolitan Archbishop of the Greek Orthodox Church Read more…

From The Secretary, ago
St Barnabas' Church Years

Debt owed to the Greeks

ABOVE: The Christmas Eucharist Service at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was celebrated by Canon David Garland at the invitation of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, His Beatitude Constantine Damianos, in December 1917. When General Allenby entered Jerusalem at the head of the victorious British Expeditionary Force he Read more…

From The Secretary, ago